Stress has become a very common part of our life. Very often we suffer from stress which interferes in our daily lives.
This article aims at providing you with stress management activities. There is a wide range of activities you can do in order to get yourself away from unnecessary stress.
First of all, let me begin by answering: “What is Stress Management?”
- Stress Management refers to the techniques used to deal with stress effectively and efficiently.
- Stress management involves the analysis of stressors and taking effective measures to minimize their effects.
There are a number of activities you can perform in order to deal with your stress and lead a better life.
Here are few of them
Stress Management Activities
- One of the best way to reduce stress is exercise.
- Exercise is closely related to stress management. While you exercise, you tend to divert your negative thoughts.
- You get distracted from thoughts of stress. Through exercise, you can release your anxieties, frustration and stress.
- During exercise, the body releases a hormone called endorphins. Endorphins generally reduce stress and help you to get out of it.
- Exercise promotes physical and mental well being. It calms your mind and develops positive thoughts.
You can perform the following exercise to relieve your stress:
Strength training, Yoga, Martial arts, Aerobic exercise, Kickboxing, Pilates, Tai Chi etc.
- Since almost 5000 years, yoga is considered to be the oldest and the most effective form of exercise.
- It is considered as a practice which leads to the development of a peaceful mind.
- Yoga encourages a positive mindset in an individual. Yoga has gained worldwide popularity because of its advantages.
- Yoga not only reduces anxiety and stress, but it also has several other benefits such as it increases strength and flexibility. It also leads to mental and spiritual growth.
- Pilates help to relieve stress and anxiety. It is also helpful in dealing with depression.
- It reduces negative thoughts and fills up the mind with a positive feeling.
- It reduces negative thoughts and fills up the mind with a positive feeling.
- It also helps an individual with sleeping disorders.
- Pilates help to deal with the stressors and the stress hormones.
- Kickboxing is also an effective way to relieve stress and tension.
- Kickboxing involves disciplined punching and kicking movements. It provides one with a good amount of physical activity which helps to reduce stress.
- Apart from helping one out of stress and tension, kickboxing helps to improve flexibility and balance in the body.
- Play your favourite outdoor game
- Playing your favourite game will definitely help you to reduce your stress. While you play your favourite game, you involved yourself so much in the game that you do not actually think about your problems.
You do not feel the need of thinking about your problems as.
Many people use games as a stress reliever.
5. Give your day a perfect start
- Wake up early in the morning.
- Go out for a walk in the park.
- Spend around 10 minutes in the morning in silence.
- Eat healthy breakfast and plan out your activities of the day.
- This will give a perfect start to your day. It will generate a positive environment around you and will set up the tone for you throughout the day.
- Thus you are likely to be free from stress.
6. Focus on positive thoughts
- Do not cry over the things that happened yesterday.
- Start focusing on the solutions and that’s where you start to grow.
- Thinking about your failures and crying over them will only lead you to stress.
- Think of your achievements and believe that you can repeat them. This will help you to manage your stress to a very great extent.
7. Make a proper plan
- Making a plan will definitely help you. By making a concrete plan, you will be able to manage your activities.
- Planning reduces the burden from your head as you know about the things you want to give attention to.
- Planning will help to reduce your stress as having a to-do list will ease your work. At the same time, it will help you stay confident and dedicated.
8. Set realistic goals
- You must set realistic goals. The goals set up by you must be within your ability and capacity.
- You must be practical while setting up your goals.
- Never forget your limitations. Keep them in mind.
- Setting realistic goals is important because if you set goals which are out of your scope, it will lead to stress.
9. Prioritize your goals and activities
- Prioritize what is important for you and what is not.
- Prepare a list of things which you want to accomplish and set your priorities accordingly.
- Prioritize few of your activities in the range from most important to least important.
- This will give you a better idea and help you manage your stress.
10. Eat Wisely
- A properly balanced diet is very important for the body.
- Eating a balanced diet will provide your body with all the necessary nutrients.
- Lack of vitamins and other necessary nutrients lead to stress and depression.
- A good diet will provide balance to your mind and body and help you manage your stress.
- Avocado, lemon, Dark chocolate, oatmeal, almonds can be helpful for you to reduce and manage your stress.
11. Listen to your favourite music
- Listening to your favourite music can really help you to manage your stress.
- Whenever you feel like stress is hitting your head, open your playlist, and enjoy the music.
12. Watch a motivational Video
- A motivational video can boost your confidence and self-belief.
- You get charged up for the challenge and you start to thinking in the positive direction.
- Motivational audio or a video can add to your ability to cope up with your stress.
13. Sit outside and enjoy nature
- Nature has a different kind of peace in it. Go out of your home and explore nature.
- The sight of natural beauty will take away stressful thoughts from your mind and help you manage your stress effectively.
14. Sing enjoyable songs
- Everyone has songs close to their heart and which they enjoy the most. Even you are one such.
- When you feel stressed or your stress has started affecting you, sing songs you love the most.
- Sing them aloud! Enjoy each and every word of the song. This will definitely reduce your stress and you manage it.
15. Do not skip your lunch
- Lunch is considered to be important for growth and development.
- Skipping your lunch means you are skipping essential elements needed to function properly in daily life. Therefore avoid skipping lunch.
16. Make Punctuality a habit.
- Punctuality at work, school, college or any other place is very important.
- Unpunctuality in completing the task, work, job or study leads to stress. Thus, it is important for you to make punctuality a habit.
17. Learn to say “NO” in life.
- Many people face difficulty in saying ‘no’. They generally tend to take or do everything that comes in their way.
- If you are not interested in doing a specific task or an activity, directly say no. Do not say YES if you feel you won’t be able to do it.
- Unnecessarily doing something you don’t like and for which you are not ready, will let you enter into conflict and lead you towards stress.
- Therefore Learn to Say “NO”.
18. Read Books.
- Reading books in another way of managing your stress.
- Pick up a book by your
favouritewriter and start reading it.
- This will give you a change you need and help you feel better than before.
So, reading is always a better option and especially when you are under stress. It will help you manage it.
19. Play your favourite computer game.
- This is an effective activity used by many people. Computer games are always on
- You will be able to manage your stress as your focus totally shifts from stressor to the entirely different gaming world.
So consider computer games also an option and help yourself.
20. Eat your favorite Dish.
- First of all, I really enjoy eating my
favouritedish when I feel stressed or anxious. This really helps me out. And so will it help you too.
- My own experience says that eating your
favouritemeal gives you a different taste and help you gain back your good mood.
- If you are under stress right now! Go and have the best dish. This really helps.
21. Follow your hobbies.
- Follow your hobby which can be anything from collecting stamps to writing poems.
- This helps you think in a totally different way and adds up to your good moods.
22. Sleep properly.
- Proper sleep is very important for a healthy mind and body.
- 8 hours of sleep is considered very essential for an average individual.
- Improper or lack of sleep has a negative impact on your mind and develops an unwanted attitude.
- With a sound sleep, you will be able to manage and handle your stress appropriately.
23. Take help from parents.
- At times it may be possible that you are not able to manage your stress or finding it difficult.
- In such a case, the people to look up to is your parents.
- Go and discuss your problems with them. Tell them what is eating you up from inside.
- Parents always have better solutions and better guidance to the problems.
- Sharing about your stress with your parents will definitely help you out with your stress.
24. Talk to your best friend.
- We always have one friend around us who is always ready to help.
- You must approach and share your problems with your friend. This lowers the burden from your head.
- You start feeling better. Sharing problems always help than hiding them. This leads to the management of your stress.
25. Play with kids.
- I know this might sound crazy. But trust me! Playing with kids really helps. While playing with kids, one starts enjoying the moment. Negative thoughts just go away from the head.
- While playing with small kids, one tends to enter into a completely different zone.
- So the next time you feel stressful, go out and feel your childhood once again.
26. Go out with your pet.
- Going with a pet is always a good option when you are under stress.
- Take your pet to a park for a walk, love it, play with it and the moments spent together.
- Spending time with pets definitely helps. It helps you to manage your stress and makes you feel better than before.
If you are a student, what activities you must do to effectively manage your stress?
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Avoid substance abuse such as cigarette, alcohol, drugs etc.
- Prepare a time table.
- Develop consistency in the study.
- Proper Rest and Sleep.
- Play sports.
- Take advice from elders.
- Share your problems.
- Indulge in activities like singing, painting, dancing, writing, speaking etc.
How can you manage stress at your workplace?
- Proper rest and sleep.
- Plan your tasks and manage time.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Focus on the solution and not the problem.
- Discuss your problems with the head.
- Try to be punctual.
- Focus on the work and update yourself.
- Prepare emergency plans (prepare backup plans).
- Do not work if you are sick.
- Do not let your personal life affect your professional life.
To sum up, it is very important to manage stress. The situation becomes difficult when stress starts controlling you. You must aim to not let stress get into your head. Therefore look to prevent stress than to manage it as it truly said: ”Prevention is better than cure”.
These are a few ways to manage stress. If you have your own way of managing stress, share it in the comment box and let people know about it.